Acton Square

Subject: Business and Industry

Gallery: Up to 1970

Catalogue ref: pa569

A row of Jacquard hand looms inside what is now the ‘Dental Emporium’ on the edge of Acton Square. The image seems to date from the time between 1910 and 1924 when Reginald Warner’s Gainsborough Silk Company owned this building. These looms were too tall to fit into most weavers’ cottages (although in some cases a hole was knocked in the ceiling to accommodate them) and so the hand weavers had to come to the factory rather than working at home. In about 1924 the Company centralised all their silk production in a new purpose-built factory on Alexandra Road taking these hand looms with them. Silk weaving was not completely mechanised at Alexandra Road until about 1930.