Gallery: Up to 1970
Catalogue ref: pa673
A mid 20th century picture of the concrete bridge, erected in 1910 and replaced by the present structure in 2003. It was probably taken in the late 1940s – the balustrade nearest the camera is missing: this was removed in 1939, possibly to speed the demolition of the bridge if the Germans invaded. More likely, it might have been done to give a clear field of fire for the anti-tank gun that was positioned on the nearby riverbank (its emplacement is still there).