Ballingdon Street

Subject: Old Townscape

Gallery: Up to 1970

Catalogue ref: pa1137

A triumphal arch welcomes visitors to Sudbury coming down Ballingdon Hill. There were a number of agricultural shows in Sudbury and the framework of wooden arches came out on various occasions. The arches  were kept in Grimwood’s builder’s yard. This image was thought to date from the 1871 Show but it must be earlier because the railway bridge does not appear in the photo and that was built when the line was extended beyond Sudbury in 1865. The White Horse public house and Mauldons brewery on the right.