Gallery: Up to 1970
Catalogue ref: pa654
The weavers’ terraces in Church Walk seen from The Croft looking towards Acton Square. One source remembers old ladies in the cottages on the right working into the night at their looms, producing silk for Kipling’s. Taken in 1959 shortly before demolition. The house on the extreme left is St Anne’s, built by Grimwood’s for Charles Grimwood, the manager of the town gasworks.