Church Walk

Subject: Business and Industry

Gallery: Up to 1970

Catalogue ref: pa613

This fine sepia photograph has ‘Samuel Humphrey Sudbury Suffolk May 10th 1893’ on the back. We do not know who Humphrey was but we think that the photo was taken to celebrate the opening of The Phoenix Brewery next to the Waggon and Horses PH. The office on the extreme right is still there but the rest of the site is occupied by ‘Phoenix Court’ today. The brewery was built by the Grimwood family following the spectacular fire which destroyed their builders’ yard in 1890 (still commemorated by a plaque on the wall.)