Cornard Road

Subject: Business and Industry

Gallery: Up to 1970

Catalogue ref: pa287

Workers at the William Armes warehouse sorting scans of sisal ready to go for dyeing and then mat making, probably in the 1920’s.

William Linay Armes arrived in the town in 1877 from Kings Lynn where his business had focused on rope making. Locating in premises at 18 Gainsborough Street he moved into making coconut fibre mats – an industry already well established in Long Melford and Glemsford. Armes sold 18 Gainsborough Street in 1887 for £640 and moved to Chilton Mill in the Cornard Road- a site that the firm has just vacated (2007).