East Street

Subject: Townscape

Gallery: Up to 1970

Catalogue ref: pa571

The sight that met shoppers in East Street at Christmas in 1955. Ministry of Food wartime controls on independent traders had been removed that year and butcher Frank Seppings made the most of it by dressing his shop for Christmas in the traditional way last seen in the 1930s. The huge beef quarters decorated with rosettes are from the prize bull he had bought at auction from Sudbury cattle market.

From L to R; Ron Drage, Mr Byham, Frank Seppings junior and Gordon Prentice the slaughterman.

This shop was demolished to make way for Elizabeth Court and the business was transferred into Gainsborough Street. Frank senior died in the 1980s aged nearly 90.