Friars Street

Subject: Old Townscape

Gallery: Up to 1970

Catalogue ref: pa993

An old engraving of 1748 showing the mansion which Thomas Eden built out of the Prior’s House of the Dominican Priory. He was granted the buildings by Henry VIII at the Dissolution of the Monasteries. Today, the mansion has gone but the entrance gatehouse to the precinct survives on Friars Street.