Gainsborough Silk at Garden Place

Subject: Business and Industry

Gallery: Up to 1970

Catalogue ref: pa517

The interior of Reginald Warner’s first silk factory in the town in Garden Place c1903. The girl at the spinning wheel is Jenny Everett and the man by the hand loom is Mr A. Griggs. Warner moved his business to larger premises in Priory Walk in about 1906, taking over Pretty’s corset factory. Finally he moved his firm, now the Gainsborough Silk Company, to its present home in Alexandra Road about 1923.