Gainsborough Silk at Priory Walk
Subject: Business and Industry
Gallery: Up to 1970
Catalogue ref: pa155
Reginald Warner, the founder of Gainsborough Silk Company, in his Priory Walk silk factory c1910. The building began its life as a stay factory and was taken over by Mr Warner in 1906. After the firm moved to their newly built premises at Chilton in 1923 the old building went through many changes of use (eg making crisps) before being demolished in 2005 to make way for a row of town houses. Reginald Warner was influential in the intoduction of the Jacquard loom into the town, enabling the weaving of beautiful and intricate designs.