Subject: Old Townscape
Gallery: Up to 1970
Catalogue ref: pa486
The entrance to Sepulchre Street (as it was called then) on March 10th 1863 when the town was decorated to celebrate the wedding of Albert. Prince of Wales and future Edward VII, to the Danish Princess Alexandra. A solitary farm worker(?) stands in the middle of the road with, above, one of the many ceremonial arches bearing the banner ‘God Bless the Royal Pair.’ Charles Wright’s ‘furnishing and general ironmonger’ is beyond on the corner with Burkitt’s Lane.
Enter Alexandra in the search engine to see the other three images of this event.