Girling Street

Subject: Business and Industry

Gallery: Up to 1970

Catalogue ref: pa73

Workers at Vanners & Fennell's Girling Street Factory c 1900. The factory was built by the Fennel Brothers, silk manufacturers from Haverhill c1898. They then joined forces with a local silk firm, Vanners, in 1900. Apart from a period in WWII when Rego, a local clothing firm, took over the factory to make army battledresses, Vanners ran this factory through to c1995 when all business was transferred to their Gregory Street mills. This buidling was then demolished to make way for an Aldi supermarket.