Great Cornard

Subject: Old Townscape

Gallery: Up to 1970

Catalogue ref: pa494

The Northern Tower at Cornard Mills. This photo was probably taken a few years after it was erected in 1911. The building was intended to be even larger but funds ran out due to the unexpected cost of pile driving into a layer of chalky slurry found to the north of the mill. Pitchpines had to be driven down to a depth of 60 feet to support the structure. Even so, it remains an impressive piece of Edwardian industrial architecture.