Inkerman Row

Subject: Townscape

Gallery: Up to 1970

Catalogue ref: pa544

A close-up of No 13 Inkerman Row, a terrace of silk weavers’ cottages built by Samuel Webb between 1858 and 1860. In 1972 the Town Council declared No 13 unsafe and the owners had to sell it to the council which then put in these massive timbers to shore it up. The terrace was demolished c1976 to make way for Playford Court Residential home.A typical Sudbury weaver’s cottage with large windows on the first floor front and back to shed maximum light on the loom.