King Street/Market Hill

Subject: Sport and Leisure

Gallery: Up to 1970

Catalogue ref: pa862

The County Cinema in 1935, decorated for the Silver Jubilee of King George V and Queen Mary. The site was previously occupied by the old Rose and Crown before it burned down in the great fire on January 1 1922. One of Winch and Blatch’s stores stands on the site today. Many Sudburians remember the Saturday morning children’s shows – 6d for a cartoon, serial and a Western. Disinfectant was sprayed over the children – presumably fear of fleas.