Lion Walk/Gaol Lane

Subject: Old Shops

Gallery: Up to 1970

Catalogue ref: pa451

Mrs Cresswell outside her corner shop, decorated for the 1935 Jubilee of George V and Queen Mary. Lion Walk connected Gaol Lane and the Four Swans Yard and so served as a short cut through into North Street. The shop was the last building in Lion Walk, on the corner with Gaol Lane (seen in the background.) During WWII Mr Tibbetts owned the grocery shop, earning a reputation for fair trading when many shopkeepers were prepared to deal ‘under the counter’. He died of a heart attack in the shop at the end of the war and it passed to Mrs Ambrose.