Market Hill

Subject: Old Townscape

Gallery: Up to 1970

Catalogue ref: pa760

Another view of Market Hill painted by Samuel Prout in 1825 (see pa 759). This time he shows the Moot Hall on the right, the Black Boy on the left and, beyond, the ancient houses which at that time clustered around St Peters church. They too were swept away in the wave of civic improvement following the Acts of 1825 and 1842 ‘for the paving, lighting, cleansing, watering and improving of the Borough of Sudbury.’