Market Hill 1800

Subject: Old Townscape

Gallery: Up to 1970

Catalogue ref: pa887

This photograph comes from a painting – artist unknown as is the date. Probably it dates from the early 1800s; George Archer was the proprietor of the Swan Inn as late as 1830. On the left is what is now Lloyds Bank with a shop owned by a Mr Rolfe to the left and the Swan on its right. Beyond the Swan is an entrance – presumably to its inn yard. Beyond the gap is the Coffee House Inn which was demolished to make way for the Corn Exchange. The Moot Hall is on the right of the picture, next to a shop apparently owned by a Mr Ray.