Market Hill

Subject: Old Townscape

Gallery: Up to 1970

Catalogue ref: pa572

The chancel of St Peter’s church photographed in 1897 by Dr Holden just prior to a major redecoration by G.F Bodley. The image therefore shows the earlier decorative scheme of William Butterfield, dating from the 1850s. Also visible are the tall candlesticks which were added by Rector John Molyneaux and which led to him being told off by the bishop.