Market Hill/Gainsborough Street

Subject: Old Townscape

Gallery: Up to 1970

Catalogue ref: pa499

The town Post Office on Market Hill before the new Post Office in Station Road was opened in 1912. Beyond the entrance to Burkitts Lane are the premises of Dupont and Orttewell Limited, ‘wholesale and retail ironmongers, bellhangers, acetylene & general gasfitters, whitesmiths, stove and range maker, agricultural implement makers….iron and brass founders.’ Dorothy Perkins now occupies the former P.O building whilst the ironmongers is now the Prezzo restaurant. (Taken from a very faded sepia postcard.)