Market Hill/Gainsborough Street

Subject: Old Townscape

Gallery: Up to 1970

Catalogue ref: pa529

A view of the entrance to Burkitts Lane from Market Hill flanked by the wholesale and retail ironmongers, Dupont and Orttewell, on the left and a tailors on the right. Beyond Dupont’s is The Perseverance Stores. The photograph is difficult to date but was probably taken just after WWI. William Parsonson ran a tailor’s shop at No 1 Market Hill in 1912 but the name on the window is D.C. McNeill,, tailor and breeches maker, who was there by 1925.