North Street

Subject: War

Gallery: Up to 1970

Catalogue ref: pa547

Diners in the British Restaurant in North Street in 1941. Originally these restaurants catered for evacuees but then opened their doors to the general public. Sudbury’s restaurant was housed in the Institute which also served as the town library. At the time the photograph was taken (SFP July 10th 1941) the Sudbury restaurant was serving about 135-140 meals each day. The site is now occupied by the entrance to North Street car park and the Argos store. (A poor quality image from an archive copy of the Suffolk Free Press but the best we can find.)