Old Market Place

Subject: Old Shops

Gallery: Up to 1970

Catalogue ref: pa1122

Members of the Alston family dominated Old Market Place at this time – the end of 1909/early 1910. The Alston brothers were furniture dealers at No 7 (also at 12 North Street), Mrs Poppy Alston ran her millinery business from No 8 and William Alston owned the baby linen warehouse at No 8 – here covered in placards and notices relating to the Peoples Budget and the battle between the landowning Lords and the Liberal controlled House of Commons. In addition Miss May Alston worked as a dressmaker at 18 Station Road. (Derek Cooper Archive)