St Gregory’s church

Subject: Sport and Leisure

Gallery: Up to 1970

Catalogue ref: pa863

A fine studio group portrait of the St Gregory’s church handbell ringers taken at some point in the 1890s. One (A Scott) was also a bellringer there, and so, probably, were some of the others. He was born in 1841 so this may date from the 1880s? Back row L to R: A Scott, W Cross, C Sillitoe, Henry Harper, W Griggs. Seated in middle row L to R: J Campin, W Bacon, W Howell, F Tolliday, H Brackett.
Front row: G Brown M Sylvester ( plus a hairy dog??)
(2012- the leather straps on the bells have recently been refurbished and a group of ringers recruited to play them again.)