Gallery: Up to 1970
Catalogue ref: pa2
Hitchcock's offices and coal depot, 10 Station Road, now enjoying a new lease of life as a restaurant with the same name. William Hitchcock founded the coal and timber merchants in around 1860 and the 1871 Census records him living next door at No 11 aged 65. His son Alfred took over the business and it was still trading as a family concern into the 1950's – their timber yard was down Meadow Lane opposite on the corner with Hyde Road.