Sudbury in 1940

Subject: War

Gallery: Up to 1970

Catalogue ref: pa511

This is the second of three images taken by a high flying Luftwaffe reconnaissance aircraft on 31st August 1940. The photo shows the Saxon core of the town extremely well with the curving line of Friars Street, Burkitts Lane and Croft Road running along the line of the late Saxon ditch. The great loop of the Stour in which the town sits is also very evident. Although there were Ack-Ack guns in Peoples Park the town looks totally vulnerable to any enemy bombing.