Sudbury in 1940
Gallery: Up to 1970
Catalogue ref: pa510
This is the first of three images taken by a high flying Luftwaffe reconnaissance aircraft on 31st August 1940. Clearly the pilot (or his intelligence officer back in Germany) was very interested in the old chalk pit and lime works owned by Allen and Boggis (which has been circled.)
The town basks in the summer heat whist the enemy looks down like a bird of prey.