The Croft

Subject: War

Gallery: Up to 1970

Catalogue ref: pa386

The Sudbury Branch of the British Legion. The Branch was founded in 1921 and this was probably taken about this time. They met at the ‘Comrades Club’ in the former crayon factory at 1 The Croft (now the Northcroft Social Club.) Kathleen Grimwood, then living at No 5, remembers the clouds of smoke drifting across from the Club when the furnaces were stoked up to provide hot baths for those ex-soldiers whose homes only had a tin bath.